List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: calling for help
From:       rburton () casc ! com (Robert Burton)
Date:       1999-10-28 14:49:51

>> I have seen the MP Specification 1.4
Read about the IO-APIC (It is fairly, documented as I recall in the MP
Spec.).  Together with this read, (in the Intel documentation) the
hardware spec for any of the i386 processors (again I don't have the docs
in front of me) the chapter regarding interrupt processing with the APIC
which is internal to each i386 processor.  To briefly answer your
question,  interrupts are distributed to the various CPUs by underlieing
hardware.   Locking withing the interrupt handler of Linux isn't
therefore (in most cases - I'll leave myself an out!) necessary nor
desirable.
Does that sound right?
Bob

-