List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: SMP Celeron or UP P2?
From:       Kristian Soerensen <elof () image ! dk>
Date:       1999-10-28 5:56:35

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Greg Youngblood wrote:

> In my testing and comparison of a single Athlon 500 versus two Celeron 400
> overclocked to 520 the Athlon was just a little bit slower.  I don't
> remember the exact seconds, but the Athlon was only about 5 seconds slower
> building a 2.2 series kernel (make bzImage). Both systems completed the
> entire build process (make dep; make clean; make bzImage; make modules) in
> under 5 minutes.

The Linux kernel makefile by default does one thing at a time so you are
testing 1 Celeron not 2.

Compiling a large source tree like the Linux kernel includes a lot of disk
I/O. Differences in the disk subsystem can easily weight more than
differences in CPU's.
You can verify this by putting and EIDE dma mode 2 and a brand new 10E3
rpm UW SCSI disk in the same machine and see what difference it makes.