List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: is "make -j4" legal ??
From:       Ralf Baechle <ralf () uni-koblenz ! de>
Date:       1999-09-26 15:08:10

On Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 09:24:20AM -0400, Dick Balaska wrote:

> I find that "4" is the right thinking number for my dually.
>
> Here is a snip from a mail i sent to this list April, 99:
> Regarding the `make -j` discussion a while back, here are my measured times
> on a dual PPro/200 128MB aic78xx libc5 K:2.2.0-final (building 2.2.5)
> 1   7:48
> 2   4:42
> 3   4:37
> 4   4:32
> 5   4:32
> 6   4:36
> 7   5:05
> 8   5:56
> -j 13:26

The last number is a clear indicator that you don't have enough memory to
run make -j without limit.

> Also note that as in davem's shell script, it is more correct to do
> make MAKE="make -j4" bzImage
> rather than
> make -j4 bzImage
>
> IIRC, glibc2 wouldn't build with -j > 1.

You'll have to modify the generated Makefile for parallel builds.  I can
build glibc in like 25min on my 4 x 180MHz R10k.

  Ralf
-
Linux SMP list: FIRST see FAQ at http://www.irisa.fr/prive/mentre/smp-faq/