List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: SMP on non intel platforms
From:       Xavier BEAUDOUIN <kiwi () oav ! net>
Date:       1999-07-29 1:20:46

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Joe wrote:

> Thanks all,
>    I have been informed that there is SMP support on Sparc and
> Alpha, but no one has mentioned any performace boosts from this.

[...]

>    Does anyone running an SMP Alpha or Sparc Linux Server?

I do with Sparc on SS10 ;-)

Really SMP on sparc boost a lot.... The bad thing is that the port of
glibc on sparc is not really mature.... ;-( So I've got two way : "wait,
luke... and something else..." or "develop luke !"...

I choose the first way since I don't think I am good enougth to develop...
But Linux on sparc smp rocks !

The main advantage of L/Sparc/SMP is it can support any CPU supported on
the mbus, not like Solaris 7 which need CPU with Supercache (the Z55
series of standard mbus cpu, not the Z50/51/52) ;-)

I didn't try some mixtures of z55 and lower cpu like z50 and/or with some
ROSS accelerators, but I've heard this really give some speed to the sparc
;-)

/Xavier

--
 In 1984 mainstream users were choosing VMS over UNIX.  Ten years later
 they are choosing Windows over UNIX.  What part of that message aren't you

Anything free is worth what you pay for it.
-
Linux SMP list: FIRST see FAQ at http://www.irisa.fr/prive/mentre/smp-faq/