List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: best backup device for linux + win95
From:       Michael Meissner <meissner () cygnus ! com>
Date:       1999-07-27 16:14:30

On Mon, Jul 26, 1999 at 10:00:02AM -0700, Shane Miller wrote:
> hi:
>
> i'm building a dual processor SMP system w/linux. sometimes i
> will need to boot with win95 to run quicken etc. questions:

(this isn't really SMP specific)

> 1. is there a preferred backup device which works both with
>    linux and win95? e.g. SCSI zip drive? scsi DAT drive? i
>    can get MKS utils if the device is UNIX like.

I tend to prefer a daily backup that backs up all of my data that needs backing
up every night.  It is really, really simple to restore stuff, compared to the
normal incremental + full dump rotations.  I have a cron job that does the dump
and then verifies the dump every night.  Every morning I switch tapes.  If I
miss switching tapes because I'm away, its no biggy.  Obviously if you have too
much data, you can't do this.  At the moment, I am using a HP SureStore DAT24
to backup about 17 gigs of data, and it takes about 7 hours total for both dump
and verify.  For DOS disks, I tend to dump the raw partition, which works great
as long as you restore the tape directly into a raw partition the same size.
If you have a supported scsi controller, Windows 98 or NT 4.0 have dump
programs on their systems that talk to DAT tapes (I haven't actually tried
Win98 with the HP, but it did work with my Archive DAT DDS-1 tape drive).

> 2. is there a boot utility which can select which drive and
>    o/s to boot from? i will completely separate the o/s on
>    the drives ... say win95 on a EIDE drive and linux on a
>    SCSI drive.

Read up on lilo.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886