List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: Multiport Ethernet cards
From:       "Christopher E. Brown" <cbrown () denalics ! net>
Date:       1999-05-23 20:46:13

On Wed, 19 May 1999, Sandy Harris wrote:

> Lech Szychowski wrote:
>
> > What hardware would you recommend? I'm especially interested
> > in quad 100BaseTX cards; now I'm a (quite happy) SMC9334
> > (dual DS21140) user but I'd like very much to replace two
> > duals with one quad...
>
> Some months back, I encountered some very positive comments on
> the Adaptec 4-port card using DEC Tuilp chips somewhere in the
> Boewulf docs. Sorry, I've no idea of URL at this point.
>
> Adaptec have a new model with 64-bit PCI support since then,
> and I don't know either if there's Linux support for that or
> if other version is still available.

Adaptec ANA-6944TX.  You will want the version without all there special
software (save about 100$).  The cards work very well, have no problems
doing 100FD on all ports, etc.  ON some BIOSs you have to use the
reverse_probe option when loading the tulip module, or set reverse probe
in tulip.c if not compiling as a module.

----
First Law of System Requirements:
     "Anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about..."

-
Linux SMP list: FIRST see FAQ at http://www.irisa.fr/prive/mentre/smp-faq/