List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: installation on ibm dghs18v
From:       Hidong Kim <emeraldkim () rocketmail ! com>
Date:       1999-04-25 20:59:32

Hi, Wesley and Mark,

Thanks for the tip.  It turned out to be the cable.
The system came with a regular uw cable instead of a
terminated u2w cable.  I got the right cable and
completed the installation.  Thanks again!

Hidong

Kim wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to install Mandrake 5.3 on a new
machine:

> > dual pii 350
> > 512 mb ram
> > asus p2b-ds
> > 18 gb ibm dghs18v u2w scsi
> >
> > The 18 gb hard drive is the only hard drive on this
> > system.  I've set the scsi id of the drive to 0,
and
> > all of the scsi bios parameters look ok.  This is
the
> > only scsi device in the system, so I've set the
> > active termination jumper.  The drive and its
correct
> > scsi id are detected by bios at startup.  During
the
> > Mandrake installation, the on-board aic7890 scsi
host
> > is detected, as is the hard drive.  But then when I
> > try to partition the disk, the installation hangs.
> > When I tried fdisk, I got no prompt for
partitioning
> > commands.  Then I restarted the installation and
> > tried to use disk druid.  I got the error message:
> >
> > Bad Partition Table-
> > The partition table on device sda is corrupted.  To
> > create new partitions it must be initialized,
causing
> > the loss of all data on this drive.
> >
> > Since there wasn't anything on the drive, I went
> > ahead and initialized.  But now it's been hanging
for
> > nearly an hour and a half in "Setup filesystems".
 Is
> > it formatting the drive?  I know it'll take some
time
> > to format an 18 gb hard drive, but is this normal?
> > Also, there are jumpers on this drive for active
> > termination and termination power enable.  Should
> > both of these be shorted?  Thanks for any
suggestions,

> If it is *still* hanging, then chances are it won't
ever finish.
> Setting up the filesystems may take quite some time
- up to
> and even beyond an hour for a big slow disk
(although your disk
> is no slouch) -  especially if you ask it to search
for bad blocks.

> I'm no expert, but this sounds to me like you
either have
> a bad disk or, more likely, bad scsi termination.
If the disk
> is the only scsi device in the box, you probably
need to set
> termination - short the `active termination' jumper
to which you
> refer. Also make sure that the other end of the bus
is terminated -
> either by an external terminator or by setting
termination in