List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC ???
From:       Pierre Brua <brua () paralline ! com>
Date:       1999-04-24 9:48:38

Xander van Wiggen wrote:
> Can anyone explain me what this message (from dmesg) means?
> SMP seems to work fine for me though :)

The 8254 is used as the motherboard system timer mapped to IRQ0 that can
be accessed through the IO-APIC board as indicated in the Intel-MP
specification. Your board does not seem to be really SMP-compliant since
the 8254 interrupt is not handled by the IO-APIC, and Linux detected it.

The kernel panics in case it cannot find another way to control the
timer.
Since your system run fine, it means the timer is controled by the
kernel as ExtINT or BP IRQ, so don't stress about it :-).

I suggest you to check in your motherboard website just in case there is
an update of your flash bios that correct this particular problem.

May I ask which type of motherboard do you have, just to know what I
won't buy next time ? Aside from that, it would be cool if you send your
motherboard information to the maintainer of the http://www.nlug.org/smp
web site...

--
Pierre Brua       expert Linux & parallélisme
PARALLINE Sarl                                mail: brua@paralline.com