List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: kernel 2.2.0, portmap, ipx and so on
From:       Rik van Riel <riel () nl ! linux ! org>
Date:       1999-01-27 22:10:04

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Frank Rietveld wrote:

> > Can you tell me how you start/stop/restart a service on Slackware,
> > which may require a series of commands in the correct order? On RedHat,
> > you can do

> Hmmm, yeah, it's nice, but it's got one drawback:
> When u restart/start a service this way, ppl tend to forget
> to check if the service are really up and running.
> Maybe an automatic ps -walux|grep httpd after restart would've
> been nice ;)

I've configured www.nl.linux.org with a handy script that
checks for all critical daemons and restarts the daemon
in question when it's not there.

The script is started every minute from cron, which is
started from init so that one is failsafe too. Now we
only need a way to automatically reboot the system when
init fouls up (maybe softdog will catch that one?).

If one of my daemons gives an error message on start,
the message usually shows up in my mailbox...

cheers,

Rik -- If a Microsoft product fails, who do you sue?