List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: your mail
From:       "Dave J. Andruczyk" <dave () www ! buffalostate ! edu>
Date:       1998-12-30 4:37:06

> I would like to add a second 166M pentium chip to a DEC PRIORIS 5166. Is
> there a SMP version for this system? Where can I get it? Where is there
> information on it? Any comments on the applicability of this system for SMP
> LINUX?

I have a Dec Celebris P133 SMP capable and last time I tried it it stunk
under SMP. (locked after loading X),  but this was a very long time ago.
Your results may vary.  Don't expect performance like newer Dualies due to
the shared L2 cache of the Pentium based SMP machines.

to make it work in SMP, just add the extra processor, and VRM (if it uses
a Voltage Regulator Module). Power it up, if the bios says Dec Prioris
5166DP  (the DP means DUAL Processor), then it worked. if not it will
probably say 5166SP.

Best of luck to you..

Dave

-