List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: Alpha verses Pentium II
From:       "Scott D. Webster" <swebster () carroll ! com>
Date:       1998-12-24 18:30:50

Michael Hart wrote:

> PS. I gotten a price quotes of about $800-$900 for dual 450MHz Pentium II
> motherboard with both CPU's. I think I maybe able to do much better that
> that if I were to buy in quantity.

    From whom did you get that quote?  That sounds great to me.  I've seen P2
450's by themselves for $650 - $700.  What board was that with?

    I'm looking to upgrade an old 486 system to P2 SMP (maybe starting with
only one processor).  I've been looking at the "Motherboards with NO known
problems" section of the FAQ.  I had looked at some info on the ASUS P2B-DS
and the Intel N440BX.  Can anyone offer an opinion on those or other MBoards.
Can anyone recommend good places to buy?  Any recommendations on cases?  I'm
looking for a full tower with lots of room for drives, etc.
    Also can anyone offer an opinion or data as to how a dual P2 350 machine
would compare with a single 450 P2?  I'm thinking it would give as good or
better performance for the same or less money.

--
Scott D. Webster                              swebster@carroll.com
Etc Services                                   Voice: 201.385.7113

-
Linux SMP list: FIRST see FAQ at http://www.irisa.fr/prive/mentre/smp-faq/