List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: Temp
From:       "Robert G. Brown" <rgb () phy ! duke ! edu>
Date:       1998-10-27 4:19:36

On 26 Oct 1998, Andi Kleen wrote:

> Also be very careful with the lm78 code floating around. The version I have
> seen uses floating point in the kernel, which is forbidden in Linux. Result
> is that it will randomly corrupt the floating point registers of innocent
> user processes. I reported it to the maintainer, but never got an answer.

Yow!  This is a Bad Thing!  In my version:

/*
    lmsysctl.h - Part of a Linux module for reading sensor data.
    Copyright (c) 1997, 1998  Alexander Larsson <alla@lysator.liu.se>,
    Frodo Looijaard <frodol@dds.nl> and Philip Edelbrock <phil@netroedge.com>

...(text deleted)

   Integers are used instead of floats, and are scaled. The scaling factors
   are enumerated below.
*/

I turned up no floats or doubles with a grep.  The version I have is
(from lmversion.h):

#define LM_DATE "19981001"
#define LM_VERSION "1.4.6"

so it looks like this one is probably safe.

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@phy.duke.edu