List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: Weird syslogd message
From:       Tomasz Papszun <tomek () lodz ! tpsa ! pl>
Date:       1998-10-25 22:27:45

On Sat, Oct 24, 1998 at 09:56:51PM -0400, Andy Poling wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> > I am running 2.1.125 in SMP mode and am getting the following syslogd
> > message from the kernel:
> > -- MARK --
> > any ideas?
>
> Yep - it's not from the kernel.  It's from syslogd.  You can configure it to
> put those "mark"s in the log files (though the why of it escapes me at teh
> moment).

E.g. if the machine gets locked (not halted but "dead"), later you may
locate this moment easier, checking in the log when the _last_ "mark" was
written.

> I believe it's done by specifying the "mark" facility in your syslogd config
> file...

Yes. And the interval may be changed from default 20 minutes with
'-m' option when starting syslogd.

--
-- Tomasz Papszun, TP S.A. Lodz, Poland		tomek@lodz.tpsa.pl