List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: linux SMP stability or lack thereof
From:       Peter Svensson <petersv () psv ! nu>
Date:       1998-09-30 20:14:51

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Jonathan A. Davis wrote:

> > > I was having ones with a RC440LX motherboard (2xPII300MHz), the machine
> > > locked-up, blank screen, no noise...
>
> The other machine, though with a lighter load, has locked tight several
> times.  And on several occasions, though it was conjecture through
> observation only, the operators reported heavy swapping going on.

We had this same problem for every kernel version tested. We tried
changing almost every component. Finally we discovered that either not
running X or replacing the S3-controller with a Matrox one solved the
problem. No hangs since. The symptoms were the same - total hang.

Peter
--
Peter Svensson      ! Pgp key available by finger, fingerprint:
<petersv@psv.nu>    ! 8A E9 20 98 C1 FF 43 E3  07 FD B9 0A 80 72 70 AF