List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: Intel
From:       ralf () uni-koblenz ! de
Date:       1998-09-25 13:23:43

On Mon, Sep 21, 1998 at 02:37:10PM -0500, Noah B Beck wrote:

> > > They're going to do the Celerons in a socket because there
> > > aren't enough manufacturers making low-cost slot-based motherboards.
> >
> > Nothign to do with the fact that folks are rewiring them to work SMP at
> > 400Mhz then ?
>
> Now, we all _know_ Intel would never do anything like that.  :)
> Cheap motherboards is just the reason I heard.  It may or may not be
> reasonably true; I haven't priced Slot1 motherboards.

Given the (estimated) prices for the socket and and the slot I'd rather
estimate that Intel is trying keep the market split in a high end based
on slot'ed systems and low end based on sockets.  Also gives them the
elegant occasion to point their fingers to AMD and say Look, they're just
making low end stuff.

  Ralf