List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: Can't boot 2.1.96
From:       Paul Kelly <longword () indigo ! ie>
Date:       1998-04-17 17:50:06

Hubert Bahr wrote:
> > The machine starts to boot with 2.1.96, and then it stops after displaying
> > the startup for the two scsi controllers.  It never probes the devices on
> > the SCSI bus, which is what would happen next in 2.0.x.  CTRL-ALT-DEL
> > resets the machine after it stops...
>
> Although not the same problem I am chasing it might be related.  Pleasetry
> kernel 2.1.92 and see if the results are any different.  This is the last
> kernel that I successfully booted.

If it's any consolation my machine hasn't booted any kernel since .91
either (didn't try .92 but .95 and .96 are definitely well toasted).
PR440FX motherboard with a pair of PPros. It gets no further than
printing one line. The Now Booting Linux line. Then it stops dead. I
think it's something in the new IO APIC code because I bludgeoned that
section of the kernel back down to .91 level. It got a lot further,
though didn't quite boot all the way. Probably because I quickly hacked
the APIC code with a baseball bat rather than a scalpel.

Paul.