List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: SMP threads question (General)
From:       hausutzu () t-bird ! in-berlin ! de (Utz-Uwe Haus)
Date:       1998-03-31 8:00:48

Eric DeWitt <edewitt@hampshire.edu> writes:
>I would appreciate recommendations of good starting
>resources (www, books, etc.) for using threads and optimizing for SMP
>systems (I really am going to be concerned only with 2 CPU configurations
>for now, but a general parallel introduction might be in order).  Thanks!
Hi Eric,

fresh off the press, and worth every line (IMHO) is
Bil Lewis, Daniel J. Berg: "Multithreaded Programming with pthreads"
(Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-680729-1)
it even mentiones LinuxThreads in some places, right alongside Solaris et al.

Of course there's
John L. Hennessy, David Patterson: "Computer Architecture, a Quantitative
Approach".
if you really need the last usec of machine dependent optimization ...

BTW, there are more pointers to relevant books in the SMP-faq (anybody
better organized than me and got the URL handy?) if I remember correctly.

Cheers
Utz
--
    Utz-Uwe Haus                               hausutzu@t-bird.in-berlin.de