List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Trouble with 2.1.82
From:       "Matthew R. Briggs" <mbriggs () switchboard ! net>
Date:       1998-01-28 9:31:53

Hello,
	I've been eagerly awaiting new kernel releases so I can used the
new IO-APIC stuff that was finally included.  I'm currently running
2.1.78 without any trouble.  2.1.82 is the most recent one I can get to
compile properly, but it hangs my machine on boot.

I have the VGA mode set to 9, so I can see a lot, but the messages
scroll by so fast they are hard to read.  I can see a couple new
table-like entries relating to IRQ routing, and a couple warning
messages (which despite many reboots I cannot read) but the machine
hangs when it gets to the part where it initializes the PCI IDE
controller.

I've got a Tyan Tomcat III S1563D with dual P166's and bios version
4.01.  IDE and no SCSI, 96MB EDO RAM.  The kernel is compiled with pgcc
but something similar happened with 2.1.81 and I tried both gcc 2.7.3
and pgcc (011598) on it with identical results.

Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks.

Matt Briggs
mbriggs@switchboard.net