List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: Bogomips and MMX was (Re: RedHat 5.0 + Tomcat + Intel  166Mhz MMX)
From:       "Manfred Brands" <m.brands () fugro-intersite ! nl>
Date:       1997-12-19 16:28:13

I lost about 50 BogoMips, by changing an option in the same kernel.
It all depends on alignment of the 'bogo-mips' loop.
Whether it is aligned on a 'cache' line or not.

There is a patch at Big Mama (http://www.huwig.de/linux/mama)
which aligns the loop at 16 bytes to give a consistent number for the
same processor.

The difference between MMX and non-MMX is Intel's bigger level-1 cache
and jump prediction.

Manfred.