List:       linux-smp
Subject:    RE: (semi-OT) booting with built-in SCSI device (GA586DX)
From:       Jakob Curdes <jc () info-systems ! com>
Date:       1997-11-28 7:30:33

On 01-Jan-70 "Joe Phillips" wrote:

>hey all,
>
>I'm having problems with getting my machine to boot from my SCSI
>disk.  The system is installed and boots fine from floppy.  The system
>is:
>
>Gigabyte GA-586DX
>1 p5-166MMX
>64MB RAM
>4.33Gig IBM UW SCSI
>
>the drive is set to ID#0 and the adaptec bios is set to boot from this
>ID.  I've disabled all IDE options in the bios too.
>
>On boot, if the boot disk is not in the drive, about the time when I
>should see "LILO" I see "1FA:" on the console and that's it.  if I
>hit return I get another 1FA: and on and on.
>
>Anyone using this mb and booting from the built in scsi device?
>
>Is there any trick to this?
>
>I've had other systems boot from scsi devices fine in the past.
>What am I missing?
>
>I chose to post here since it is a smp board and I'm only using linux
>on it.  I figured I may find someone else who is using similar
>hardware here.

I have a 586dx with 2 p133 and probably the same HD -IBM DCAS34330.
I had no problems getting linux 2.0.29 up+running. I first installed a
windoze partition and then installed the linux partitions.
Perhaps it is a termination problem? Check what happens if you
disable the scsi adapter! ps. What distrib/version are you using?

I can mail you my bios settings if that helps.

Good luck, jc

information Systems     Jakob Curdes
Norderstrasse 4         D-26123 Oldenburg
Phone xx49-441-84531    Fax xx49-441-8859580
E-Mail:                 jc@info-systems.com