List:       linux-smp
Subject:    overclocking
From:       "Dan St. Sauveur" <danst () pgh ! net>
Date:       1997-10-27 14:52:48

Nobody was whining about overclocking; the person who emailed that was
looking for some advice to others on the list about what went wrong.  Too bad
the answer is that he's outta luck.

If overclocking does work it's a big win in performance and a good savings in
cost.  I lucked out -- since my p166's run at 200 I got a pair of 200's for
$200 less than if I had bought  200's.  They have run well, and stay cool, so
it isn't doing the components any harm.  I suspect that both of my cpus
really are rated for 200 MHz.

I think the benefits far outweigh the risks.

I think overclocking dual boards with used, older pentiums is a great way to
keep them in service for a while longer.  A single p90 or p100 would not
be great, duals would be ok, especially if they'll clock up to 133.  I would
make sure I had lots of fans in that chassis though.

I had a 386 run for over seven years.  If I overclock my 200's and they last
3 or 4 years I'll be thrilled and think I more than got my money's worth.
The technology changes so fast that by then I'll want something better
anyway.  It's what earns my living, and I'm entitled to something decent.  :)

danst@pgh.net  (Dan St. Sauveur, Software Engineer and mercenary programmer)
http://www3.pgh.net/~danst
The horse, the original in 4x4 off road recreation.