List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: NFS export of /proc?
From:       hpa () transmeta ! com (H !  Peter Anvin)
Date:       1997-09-27 5:11:57

Followup to:  <199709261657.MAA01195@sparky.ic.sunysb.edu>
By author:    Eric S Roman <eroman@sparky.ic.sunysb.edu>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.smp

> You see, that's fine for me, but not for my users.  The people using
> these machines are running very large MPI jobs across multiple processors.
> I want to minimize the time it takes to collect the information, and also
> allow them to run the thing interactively, like an xload or a top that
> shows everything that's running.  If I use an rsh or similar, when these
> things are under load, it would take a long time to collect the information.
> That was the motivation for NFS.  I haven't had time to take out to look at
> the SNMP, but I'm not sure that it would be appropriate for my users, this
> seemed to be the most direct solution.

I once wrote a version of xload I called rxload, which contains a tiny
UDP-based daemon to probe the load average of the remote machine.
That is really the way to do it, as it requires minimal overhead.
I'll try to clean it up and post it on ftp.kernel.org in the next few
days, if there is interest.

	-hpa

--
    PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD  1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
    See http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/ for web page and full PGP public key