List:       linux-smp
Subject:    440LX PII experiences?
From:       "Robert G. Brown" <rgb () phy ! duke ! edu>
Date:       1997-09-23 13:08:15

Hello All:

I'm about to take the plunge and get a dual Pentium II based on the
440LX chipset -- if I can find one.  In principle I can find one, as
SWT advertises them with linux preloaded, and Aberdeen also has them.

Has anyone actually tried 440LX-based PII SMP systems?  Are there any
gotcha's?  Any endorsements/words of praise?  Both motherboards I'm
considering (the Intel and SuperMicro) have built in Adaptec 2940UW
and the Intel has built in networking as well.  I'm also planning to
get 256MB of SDRAM and 300 MHz CPU's, if that makes any difference.

I already have a bunch of dual 200 MHz PPro systems, so I should be
able to report back comparative benchmarks.  I'm especially interested
in the memory subsystem's performance on, e.g., the memory benchmark
Holger published not long ago.

     rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@phy.duke.edu