List:       linux-smp
Subject:    SMP Revisited: Lets Do the 'Time-Warp' Again!
From:       "James G. Stallings II" <zap () onyx ! tarpon ! net>
Date:       1997-09-18 11:26:38

GREETINGS TO THE LIST!

About a year ago we purchased a TYAN Tomcat II with two 166MHz
Intel Pentiums to build the central file/webserver for our company, Tarpon
Data Services. We installed Redhat Picasso on it and had a great deal of
success with SMP. Then we had some sort of catastrophic crash, and when we
reinstalled we reinstalled the next version (Vanderbilt?) and immediately
experienced the dreaded lockup bug, accompanied by the SIG 11 problem
while compiling kernels.

Since this is a production oriented piece of gear, we throttled back to a
single processor and went on with life (Its not near the hotrod it was
under SMP, but still very satisfying).

While lurking on the list since that time, I've read about things
(parrallel make programs, deadlock patches, etc.), that make me think that
my memory is fine, and that the software guys are just catching up to the
hardware.

If this is true, could someone point me towards the path of righteous
SMPness once again? I need to know what kernel source tree to start with,
what patches to apply, and any special tools I might need. Any 'get
started quick' tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, can anyone point me to that 'reboot on fatal' patch?

Remember, this is production gear and if its not going to be something I
can keep reasonably stable then I'll happily wait until the code is less
'hot'.

Thanks in advance!

-James

Only those who leisurely approach that which the masses are busy about
can be busy about that which the masses take leisurely.
                -- Lao Tsu