List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Deadlock on IBM with 2.1.xx kernels
From:       Claude Lefrancois <lefranco () cae ! ca>
Date:       1997-08-28 11:44:20

Hello,

At work, I use an IBM Intellistation Zpro. It is a dual PPro 200
MHz with an Adaptec 2940 UW, a Quantum UW 4 Gig drive, an Intel
EtherExpress 10/100 and a Matrox Millenium 4 Mb. This computer
operates very well in SMP mode under Linux kernel 2.0.30 which I
patched for PnP because of an on-board PnP sound card. I also found a
beta driver for the ethernet card which I built as a module and used
with no problem. I nerver experience a deadlock due to SMP for this
computer. BTW we use here a lot of multiprocessor systems and all with
success but they all run 2.0.xx kernels.

I decided configure the IBM with a 2.1.xx kernel. We need it for a
special purpose. I downloaded 2.1.42 kernel, installed Slackware 3.3
to have latest tools required for 2.1.xx kernels (binutils, libc,
mount, libg++, etc.), built and installed this kernel. Since that
time, I experience severe deadlocks. Typically, I boot the computer,
leave it idle (no login, no remote access, etc.) and after about 20-30
minutes, the computer locks. I have to turn off and on the computer to
get it back... I tried the 2.1.50 kernel with the same results. But
when I work at the console, I can work on this computer for hours...

I tried a lot of things. I disabled almost everything in the kernel
that can be experimental or new to 2.1.xx kernels compare to 2.0.xx
with the same results. I compiled the kernel disabling the SMP and the
computer worked just fine all day long but I want the computer in SMP
mode... Now I don't know what I can try to make it work. If somebody
can help me, please let me know your suggestions.

Thanks a lot,

Claude Lefrancois
Software engineer,

--