List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: Linux SMP and message-passing routines
From:       alan () lxorguk ! ukuu ! org ! uk (Alan Cox)
Date:       1997-07-22 23:15:28

> I should be able to use the System V shared memory area, which works
> well under Linux SMP, but I do not want to do any unuseful work. If it
> may work properly and as quickly with the message-passing routines, it
> will be enough...

All the following work fine

	mmap MAP_SHARED
	sys5 message queue
	sys5 shared memory
	pipes

The fastest and cleanest is probably SYS5 shared memory. However if you
want to be as fast as possible you may want to avoid using sys5 semaphores
for synchronization and use your own spinlocks in the shared memory
area.