List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: 2.4.22 doesn't recognize Pentium 4 as 2 proc
From:       "Randy.Dunlap" <rddunlap () osdl ! org>
Date:       2003-08-02 23:51:02

> Hello, and thank you for making a nice kernel!
>
> I have a Pentium 4 at 3 GHz, on an Intel integrated motherboard
> (sorry, I don't know the MB details). Of course, the P4 3GHz
> has Hyperthreading, so the kernel should recognize it as two
> processors.  The 2.4.21 kernel does recognize it as dual, but
> none of the 2.4.22-pre series has yet correctly recognized it.
> My config is essentially the same for 2.4.22pre as for 2.4.21.

Several ACPI changes in 2.4.22-pre series.

> The reason I am running the 2.4.22pre series is that they support
> the AGP on this motherboard.  For a while I was using a Radeon card, and
> only with the 2.4.22pre could I get hardware OpenGL acceleration. So things
> are getting better and better on the whole. Also, one of the APIC was
> unrecognized in pre8 and is now recognized in pre10.
>
> I am attaching
>
>   *  my kernel config file. In particular, SMP is enabled.
>   *  dmesg output from 2.4.21
>   *  dmesg output from 2.4.22-pre10
>   *  lspci output in case it is relevant
>
> Many thanks if the dual CPU can be enabled in future releases.

Here's what worked for me with 2.4.22-pre P4 + HT.  I don't know if
it's the only thing that will work or not.

a.  enable ACPI config option + several sub-options
b.  add to kernel boot command line:  acpismp=force

~Randy

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-smp" in