List:       linux-smp
Subject:    "Illegal instruction" traps on smp clients
From:       Rudy Klinksiek <klink () arlut ! utexas ! edu>
Date:       2003-02-20 16:36:06

Greetings:

Config:      Linux 2.4.19, from Synergy, derived from YellowDog
		version 2.1 .   Using Synergy's Quad and Dual G4
		Altivec ppcs.  We have several boards, configured
		in a server/client  relationship ( beowulf type of
		setup ).  Server has attached disk, clients mount
		root file system over nfs.

Problem:     I see "Illegal instruction" traps on clients when booting
		an smp kernel.  Other symptoms include failure of
		various daemons	during startup ( syslogd, crond, sshd,
		etc ).  Symptoms also occur during rsh/rlogin usage.
		Using a non-smp kernel ( ie running uniprocessor ) on
		the clients, there are no problems.
		Smp appears to work fine on the "server".

	     Has anyone else seen this problem, or something similar?

             I believe there is an smp problem, either in the kernel
		and/or related to nfs.  Fixes detailed by Sunil Saxena at

           http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/linux/linux-kernel/2002-20/0756.html

		for the x86 architecture  relating to the order in which
		page tables are freed and the tlbs flushed appear to be
		in the version I am running.  Obviously the ppc arch
		is not addressed.  Also noticed this problem addressed
		starting in 2.5.16 and going forward.
	     Not practical for me to pick up 2.5.xx , so I am looking at
		trying to determine what would be needed to fix 2.4.19
		from looking at how 2.5.60 handles page/tlb shutdown,
		assuming this is the problem.

	     What I would like is guidance on how to accomplish this,
		ie modules/routines involved,  howto outline, etc.
		I am willing to try various things as my time permits.
		Only interested in the 32 bit arch at this point. Have
		looked extensively at mm/memory.c, mm/mmap.c, and
		related functions.

             Comments, suggestion?

                My background involves writing device drivers for VMS,
		Solaris,  and now Linux.

                Any assistance or guidance would be appreciated

		Thanks
		klink

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-smp" in