List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: Problems with an Tyan Thunder i860
From:       Bogdan Costescu <bogdan.costescu () iwr ! uni-heidelberg ! de>
Date:       2002-11-25 15:55:53

To FAQ maintainers: Could something related to HT be added to the FAQ ?

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Michael Mayer wrote:

> The machine is doing quite well, but I've got problems with
> Hyperthreading.

This was already covered on this list, the beowulf list and probably
others. It mainly comes from the misunderstanding of what HT provides: it
does _not_ add a new full processor, but just adds a way of better using
the processor's internal pipes. So for example two processes, out of
which one is doing only integer arithmetics and the other only floating
point arithmetics, could use simultaneously the two different (integer and
FP) pipes of the CPU; they would appear as running on different processors
because there is no overlap in what they need. However, as soon as they
start competing for the same resources (like the FP process would start
doing integer too) they will have to be executed serially.

> If I turn on Hyperthreading two parallel jobs last around 47 secs, too.

... but here you were just lucky, the scheduler put the 2 jobs on two
different _physical_ CPUs. But it could happen worse, as you describe...

> I also see some problem of Process routing through the four CPUs when
> starting only two processes. Sometimes they stick to one and the same
> physical CPU and therefore lasting 3 times longer too...

... where the two jobs were scheduled on the same physical CPU. This is
exactly the explanation for your problem...

> But the crucial point is when executing four of this jobs in parallel,
> the CPU time should double or if Hyperthreading has any positive effect
> on it, it should take any factor smaller than two longer. The result of
> executing four jobs is lasting 3 times longer.

... which again happens because of poor scheduling. Task switching takes
some time, flushing pipes and caches also.

> PS: The machine is runing for now with hyperthreading disabled ;(

Well, keep it this way :-)
Especially now that Intel has included HT in its desktop CPUs, you should
be able to find reviews of what HT could bring (or take); although all
that I've seen are testing with Windows, the principles should apply to
Linux as well.

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868
E-mail: Bogdan.Costescu@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-smp" in