List:       linux-smp
Subject:    hyper-threading
From:       "Robert M. Hyatt" <hyatt () cis ! uab ! edu>
Date:       2002-11-22 6:33:15

A simple question.  Does the current kernel know anything about
hyper-threading, beyond the fact that it sees an extra cpu for
each real cpu installed?  IE if I have a dual, and I run two
threads only, does it know enough to run each thread on a
different real cpu?  Or might it schedule both on one physical
cpu since it looks like two to the kernel?

I'd hope not, but I have a hyper-threading dual on the way and
was curious whether this could be a performance problem or not,
as it would be foolish to schedule two threads on one real cpu
and leave the other idle...

Bob

--
Robert Hyatt                    Computer and Information Sciences
hyatt@cis.uab.edu               University of Alabama at Birmingham

-