List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: aic7xxx problem in 2.4.18-SMP
From:       Doug Ledford <dledford () redhat ! com>
Date:       2002-05-21 17:58:17

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 03:31:35PM +0200, Burkhard Bunk wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> it took me some time to boot a SCSI system with the aic7xxx driver
> compiled into kernel 2.4.18-SMP.

[ snip ]

> But with kernel boot options "noapic" or "nosmp" the new driver works!
> (both with and without the patch.)

And this is the important bit of information.  You are having IRQ routing
problems.  Evidently the smp kernel can not properly set up the apic IRQ
routing on your machine.  Try going into the BIOS and looking for an
option to set the BIOS MPS table to either version 1.1 or 1.4 and try
switching it from whatever it is to the other and see if it works.  If it
doesn't, then you'll just have to add noapic to your default kernel boot
line until someone knowledgable in ioapic issues can resolve your
machine's problem.

--
  Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com>     919-754-3700 x44233
         Red Hat, Inc.