List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: SMP "unexpected IO-APIC"
From:       "Randy.Dunlap" <rddunlap () osdl ! org>
Date:       2002-04-16 14:51:07

On 16 Apr 2002 u.milde@gdsys.de wrote:

| I missed that BIOS option in the "Boot" section.
| Possibly 'operational blindness', OTOH it's not entirely obvious.
|
| Indeed that option was (probably by default?) set to "1.4".
| Disabling the option does fix the hangs.
|
| The Redhat 2.4.9-31SMP kernel will still show the warning about the
| "unexpected APIC", 2.4.18 won't.

2.4.18 has a tiny bit more IO APIC knowledge than 2.4.9 does.
Whether this explains it for this case I can't tell since
all of the kernel messages are not printed (i.e., some of the
nice detailed ones seem to be omitted in a default RH config).
I usually add a line to /etc/syslog.conf that contains:

kern.*						-/var/log/kern.log

to save all kernel log messages, especially for debugging.

--
~Randy

-