List:       linux-smp
Subject:    I found message "WARNING: unexpected IO-APIC, please mail..." during
From:       Carlos Robinson <cerobinson () ieee ! org>
Date:       2002-03-17 17:36:26

Hi,

I'm mailing you just because I found the following message during boot:

	testing the IO APIC.......................

	IO APIC #2......
	.... register #00: 02000000
	.......    : physical APIC id: 02
	.... register #01: 00178020
	.......     : max redirection entries: 0017
	.......     : IO APIC version: 0020
-->	 WARNING: unexpected IO-APIC, please mail
-->	          to linux-smp@vger.kernel.org
	 WARNING: unexpected IO-APIC, please mail
	          to linux-smp@vger.kernel.org
	.... register #02: 00000000
	.......     : arbitration: 00
	.... IRQ redirection table:

I don't know whether you know already about this, or if its necessary
(surely there will have been updates to the kernel): but as the kernel
boot message says that I should mail you, I'll comply 8-)

Also, if I boot with apm enabled (which is the distro default) the system
locks as soon as I switch to a text console from the X screen - needing
unplugging the computer.

If compile the kernel with acpi enabled, then it doesn't freeze (but then
I can not power off normally the computer, for example).

System is a Suse 7.3. Kernel is:

	Linux nimrodel 2.4.10-4GB #1 Tue Feb 26 21:07:17 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Lilo entries used for booting:

    image = /boot/vmlinuz.acpi
        label = T:_apic_&_acpi
        root = /dev/hdb6
        initrd = /boot/initrd.acpi
        append = "vga=0x0317 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

    image = /boot/vmlinuz
	# Hangs when switching from X to console
        label = T:_apic_&_apm
        root = /dev/hdb6
        initrd = /boot/initrd
        append = "vga=0x0317 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

(normally I use append "disableapic" in a kernel wit apm enabled)

Hardware is a Network pentium IV - I mean that it is one of those
computers you buy fully configured with windows from a department store -
I was filing rather lazy O:-) - to which I added linux.

Video is a nvdia Geforce, with kernel modules from the maker (XFree
says: "NVidia GeForce2 MX rev 178, Mem @ 0xdc000000/24, 0xd0000000/27")

Attached are the /var/log/boot.msg files for both tests, which should tell
you more than me: I'm not a kernel developer :-)

If you want me to do some tests, just tell me, and I will try.

--
Cheers
       Carlos Robinson

["boot.msg.apic_apm.gz" (APPLICATION/X-GUNZIP)]
["boot.msg.apic_acpi.gz" (APPLICATION/x-gunzip)]
-