List:       linux-smp
Subject:    problem: IO-APIC problem
From:       "V.Venkatasubramani" <vvs () ncra ! tifr ! res ! in>
Date:       2002-02-08 11:12:18

dear Sir

	We got the following error while trying to boot kernel with smp
for dual CPU machine. The config is as follows;

Mother Board 	- ASUS CUV4X-D and BIOS version 1007
CPU 		- INTEL PIII-1000 Mhz (Socket 370)	2 Nos.
Software ver	- RedHat 7.2 with kernel 2.4.7-10smp

error log; (while booting) the following error came
Unexpected IO-APIC , please mail to

	linux-smp@vger.kernel.org

calibrating delay loop...2005.40 BogoMIPS
CPU:L1 I Cache: 16K, L1 D Cache 16K
CPU: L2 Cache 256K
Intel machine check reporting enabled on CPU#1
CPU1: Intel Pentium III (Coppermine) stepping 0a
Total of 2 processors activated (4010.80 BogoMIPS).
Enabling IO-APIC IRQs
...Changing IO-APIC physical APIC ID to 2...ok
..TIMER: vector=0x31 pin1=2 pin2=0
testing the IO APIC....
	CPU clock 1004.4981 Mhz
	host bus clock speed is 133.9328 Mhz

then it hung , no response to keyboard and only reset works.

Our observation: We procured this ASUS dual CPU capable board system with
Intel PIII 1GHz and then we bought another INTEL CPU 1 GHZ and tried to
boot smp kernel. The above is the trouble. But, single CPU kernel is
working. WE have checked the new CPU separately and it working fine. We
have even downloaded the Frq-id utility from INTEL to test the CPU is
genuinity and it showed correctly the CPU freq and bus freq. The
motherboard config tried in jumper mode and jumper free mode. Both has the
same problem.
	Can you help me in solving this problem.
Thanks in advance,
--
vvs -- Sys Admin
Fri Feb  8 14:45:51 IST 2002