List:       linux-smp
Subject:    RE: ALR Revolution Q-4SMP - compatible?
From:       "Jeffrey Lanthripp" <jlanthripp () telocity ! com>
Date:       2002-01-31 9:24:15

On 1/08/2002, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

>  The system uses i82489DX APIC chips and additionally it uses the rare PIC
> compatibility mode for bootup.  It means Linux 2.4.x should work fine on
> it, but 2.2.x probably does not (either work fine in the UP mode,
> though).
> Such a system was one of the testing platforms for Linux's i82489DX
> support I wrote -- if the current 2.4.x kernel doesn't boot on your system
> in the SMP mode, then I definitely want to know.

Thanks for the info; after battling with an EISA config utility for the
first
time, encountering a semi-dead cd-rom drive, and blowing the dust out of
this
thing, I gave it a shot with Red Hat 7.2 - it appears to run just fine after
about 12 hours uptime with the 2.4.7-10smp kernel, and is now in the process
of happily booting to a 2.4.9-21smp kernel.  I didn't even have to recompile
a kernel for it - the initrd image that installed by default appears to know
how to handle the DPT PM2022 and the Adaptec 1740 via modules before trying
to mount the root filesystem :)

I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if I run into any strange
behavior...

Thanks again!

Jeff Lanthripp

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-smp" in