List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: WARNING: MP table in the EBDA can be UNSAFE
From:       Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio () zmailer ! org>
Date:       2002-01-24 10:27:37

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 12:07:02PM +0200, razvan@xxy.ro wrote:
> hello,
> please do not ignore me if I ask a stupid question.
>
> I have a IBM xseries 330 server with 2 P3/1GHz processors and linux
> 2.4.16-pre1 the server is working fine, but I am stressed by this
> message at boot time:
>
> WARNING: MP table in the EBDA can be UNSAFE,
> contact linux-smp@vger.kernel.org if you experience SMP problems!

  In booting system that data is copied into safe place before being
  used, but if the kernel image is too big, it MAY overwrite the memory
  area where that block is located at.  (It should not, but..)

  E.g. booting via lilo or grub  and using "bzImage" should be safe,
  but direct "vmlinux" probably is not.

> is there something I can do to make the message disappear?

  No.   But you can quite safely ignore it most of the time.

  The note there is to let people to inform  linux-smp
  of cases where SMP machines don't work for some reason.

> Thank you,
> Razvan Radu

/Matti Aarnio
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-smp" in