List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: WARNING at boot (kernel NULL pointer deref)
From:       "Randy.Dunlap" <rddunlap () osdl ! org>
Date:       2001-12-14 19:16:53

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Tim Kay wrote:

| On Saturday 08 Dec 2001 02:11, you wrote:
|
| > What model Dell PowerEdge is this?
| > What kind of chipset is in it?  ServerWorks?  Be as exact/precise
| > as possible.
| >
| > Can you give me the complete output from 'lspci -vvx'?
|
| Part II.
|
| The machine is a Dell poweredge 1550, chipset is described as a ServerWorks
| OSB4. I've attached the output from dmesg and lspci, if there'sd anything
| else let me know.

I had mentioned that some systems had a "known problem" with
APIC error(s).  That was on systems that use the Intel P64H
IOAPIC, and apparently this Dell PowerEdge doesn't use that
IOAPIC.  (Reference:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-smp&m=99802330832267&w=2 )
Anyway, I don't see any evidence that the APIC error(s) and
the Oops are related.

Is the dmesg output that you attached from the failure (Oops),
or just a new dmesg from that same system?

You are using the Intel e100 ethernet driver according to the
dmesg output...version 1.6.13 of it.  The latest is version
1.6.29.  You might want to try it...or take up this Oops problem
with Intel support.

I'm saying this because from what I can tell from the ksymoops
output, the Oops is happening because /proc/net/dev was being
printed but some networking driver has an invalid value in
its dev->get_stats pointer field, and I can't see that you
have any other networking drivers.

Have you tried both the kernel eepro100 driver and the Intel
e100 driver and found differences in them, and hence reasons
to use the e100 driver?

Regards-
--
~Randy