List:       linux-slackware
Subject:    Re: [linux-slackware] Re: Slackware Sound and dial-up connection
From:       Nick Hill <nikhilwiz () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-05-14 22:21:31

u dont have the ppp modules loaded, or u haven't
compiled them into u're kernel. u need the ppp_async
and ppp_generic modules. u seem to have the
ppp_generic compiled (oth'wise pppd wouldn't start),
but u dont have the ppp_async module compiled in, if
u're using a modem to connect.

if u've compiled the ppp modules as loadable modules,
if u're using DEVFS put this in u're /etc/devfsd.conf:

LOOKUP MODLOAD PPP

and if u're not using DEVFS, stick this in u're
/etc/modules.conf:

alias char-major-108 ppp_async
alias tty-ldisc-3 ppp
alias ppp0 ppp_generic
alias ppp1 ppp_generic
alias ppp ppp_generic
alias ppp-compress-18 ppp_mppe
alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate

do a depmod -a and u're done. btw, do u have a recent
version of modutils? check out
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes, for the minimum
version required to work with the kernel u're using.

Nikhil.

--- drefooty@surfbest.net wrote:
> Serial connection established
> ioctl (TIOCSETD): Invalid argument (22)
>
> Then it just gives me back my comand prompt and
> disconnects.
> Initially, I thought something was wrong with my
> ISP, but I am able
> to connect through a Win98 session. Maybe something
> happened when I
> recompiled the kernel??? I have used "make xconfig",
> just to check
> the settings, and things seem correct. I am a
> newbie, so I might be
> overlooking something rather simple.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Become a member FREE at http://www.searchdatabase.com?Offer=yahoo5 today.
Save time finding the best Database Development and
Management information available on the Internet.
Our targeted search engine and dedicated editorial staff "cut out the clutter" by \
aggregating the best links and the most relevant database news for you every day.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_w3RtC/rGiCAA/bT0EAA/0qAVlB/TM