List:       linux-slackware
Subject:    [linux-slackware] Installation options for future Slackware ?
From:       "Ard Righ" <ArdRigh () paradise ! net ! nz>
Date:       1999-10-01 5:46:16

 Hello :o)

 I've been having a small debate with some friends, and discussion with
people on mailing lists, about the installation of Slackware.

 Now, I've been sitting here trying to work out a rather strange setup for
Linux, and realised the Slackware 4 installation misses a lot of questions,
and generally causes many headaches when trying to setup the system as I
want it.

 I know that Slackware follows the 'normal' UNIX/Linux file format pretty
closely, ie the directory and file structure. But when it comes to changing
this setup for personal preference, or personal tinkering 'because-I-want-to-
and-I-can", Slackware doesn't give any options.

 The system I want to setup (and it is unusual to most) goes as follows:

 Having most things in the normal place, ie /root, /bin etc...
 Moving the FTP to /ftp and all users to /usr/home. Two changes to the norm
which prove to be rather annoying to implement.

 So why have FTP in /ftp and not /home/ftp you ask ? Nothing major... I just
want FTP to work from /ftp.
 Having the users work from /usr/home rather than /home ? That's the way
I'm used to working with UNIX and Linux system previously. It becomes
easier to follow what you know, than start again :o)

 And I think, IMO at least, all of this could work by changing the installation
process for more user input. I know distros like Redhat and Debian etc give
you a number of options on what you want to do (including some 'installation
profiles' etc). The addition of a few questions like "Where do you want xxxx"
in the installation process would make Slackware more flexible than it is now.

 I like using Slackware, I find it stable, and I'm learning to use Linux using
Slackware and nothing else. In my learning, I want to be able to configure a
system how I choose, no matter how strange it may seem, to see how/if it
works. If it doesn't I can reinstall Slackware, and configure it another way.
 But I feel I should have more choice in the installation and setup, after all I
can setup most other things the way I want them.

 I know UNIX has had it's structure in use for many years, but there shouldn't
be any barriers to it changing to meet users needs, and falling away from the
70's administrator mind-set.
 The people want Linux to become mainstream, and it is slowly doing so.
But if people can't change things to how they want them, then they're most
likely not going to be inspired to change from something they can change
around (ie I can tell a Windows operating system where I want user
programs, what location to share files from, and basically change a decent
portion of the setup).

 Any thoughts or comments on thinking outside the square, and using a non-
conformist linux installation, whether for fun, or serious use ?

 Ard Righ
 S' Rioghal Mo Dhream!