List:       linux-slackware
Subject:    [linux-slackware] Re: NIS - YP - ypserv v.1.3.6
From:       "Peter T. Breuer" <ptb () it ! uc3m ! es>
Date:       1999-08-04 11:15:38

"A month of sundays ago Alexandre Ghisoli wrote:"

> > I have been conversing with Thorsten over NIS for at least three years.
> > We are still far from a robust client/server set.
> >
> > I have stability in my current setup .. (I think it's ypserv 3 and
> > ypbind mt 1.1), but then I take the servers and clients
> > up and down every day, and check them by scripts every half hour, as
> > well as via init.
>
> Waow .. this mean that you have got some problm with ypserv / ypbind ?

Yes, of course. Everyone does. It's inherent in the current code.

> Why are you restarting thoses processes ? They dies ?

I am restarting these processes (a) in case they die, (b) in case they
don't die.

Case (a) is obvious. Case (b) is more subtle. Currently, for example,
clients can lose track of the server for some reason or other, go
broadcast, and pick up a server I don't want. Or the client can
go into an internal loop, or get stuck in some call, and go deaf.
Or the server can. Or both. It happens very sporadically nowadays ..
about once every two weeks.

> What append about your init's scripts ? What do they does ?

??. Inittab just lists ypbind (or ypserv, or both) as a daemon it
has to respawn when it dies. That takes care of (a).

> I'm sorry, there is a lot of question, but I'm using NIS under Linux/SW, but
> I'ven't see any errors with ypbind-mt / ypserv ....
>
> > This is still vulnerable to the server going comatose and not dying
> > (hence not being seen to die, hence not being resurrected).
>
> Huh ? Vulnerable to attack ? or vulnerable itself (mistake in coding, lib's
> compatibility, ...)

Who knows. If we knew, we could probably fix it. It's sporadic. Try

> regards

Peter

Click Here to apply for a NextCard Internet Visa and start earning
FREE travel in HALF the time with the NextCard Rew@rds Program.
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/449

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-slackware