List:       linux-server
Subject:    Re: Proxy Problem and Nameservers Question
From:       JBlack <jblack () zxmail ! com>
Date:       2000-05-05 21:49:23

If proxys work along with firewalls, then I guess Bess is providing
both those services.  I don't how Bess has got there system set up
exactly.  See below for further information.

What you (Richard) said about router is probably true.
Unfortunately, it is yet another piece of hardware that was installed
before I or any other knowledgable person was there to demand the
passwords for it.  The router must be set up this way, since you
can't access anything outside our network without the proxy set.
Even if I had been there, someone would have had to give me a crash
course.  Here is what I get when I telnet to the router:

PACESETTER_Pro_V35U_fc00843 services

     1  CONTROL         fc00843

Enter service selection:

I then entered "1" and got this screen:

                                   hhsd-gw

                       ADC Kentrox PACESETTER Pro V35U
                       Software Version Number 6.4 SR1
                            Serial Number 0fc00843

                           Copyright (C) 1990-1997

                        Press ESC to exit control port
                To get back into control port, type 9999 <RET>

                               Enter password:

And was thus thwarted at the gate.  Not knowing the password or
anything else about how this system works, I figured that it's best
to leave it alone.  If there is any extra configuration required on
my part, I'm going to have to contact the guys in charge (whoever
they are) to get my server added as priviledged.  (Though I would
also like telnet and ftp access enabled, so that I can do some remote
administration.)

Locating the web server outside the proxy would definitely be ideal,
but it would also be complicated.  Right now, all we have to do is
overcome some configuration issues (I hope), but to place the box in
question outside the proxy would require finding an entirely new
location to put it.  Here is a quick and dirty diagram of how the
network is set up:

INTERNET<--->Proxy<--->Router<--->Internal Network

You see, in the same way as the FreeBSD machine, we don't own the
proxy either.  We, along with many other schools, are paying Bess to
filter our content.  The only way of placing the webserver outside of
its grasp would require hosting it on another network, which I'm
pretty sure would be more trouble and expense than it's worth.

Thanks for the input, guys.  It's really helped.  I just wish that
the solutions were stuff that I could do myself, instead of having to
complain to other people.

        -JBlack