List:       linux-server
Subject:    Re: configure
From:       Brian Candler <B.Candler () POBOX ! COM>
Date:       1999-02-01 10:01:13

> I don't know why when I configure something like the route table, for
> example when I add localhost, it is added fine, but when I reboot the
> machine, that localhost isn't there, the route table return "by default".

Because 'route add' only affects the running kernel. You need to put the
relevant commands in a script to get the same effect after bootup.

Red Hat 5.x has a file /etc/sysconfig/static-routes, whose format is:

eth0 net 192.168.0.0 gw 200.10.194.60

or just put your 'route add' commands in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Localhost should be added automatically - see
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo

(so I guess you are running something other than Red Hat?)

> Another example is when I configure my modem, I declare my modem is in
> /dev/cua2, it run ok, but when I restart the computer it vanish, and
> another time I have no modem.

What do you mean, you "declare" your modem is /dev/cua2?

If you are making a symlink to /dev/modem, this should remain after a
reboot. However if you are configuring the port with setserial, you need to
put the command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Can't help you any more than that unless you are specific about what
distribution you are using and what commands you are typing.

Brian.