List:       linux-server
Subject:    Re: fallover for database server
From:       Ben Hoyt <ben () spectrumwireless ! net>
Date:       1999-01-30 4:33:58

        You could do something along the lines of sharing the SCSI chain that
the drives are connected to - for the failover server, you would have to
set the card to read-only.  You could have the failover constantly check
(something as stupid as ping, or as complicated as issuing a network
query to the db) every 30 seconds, and if the remote fails, you can
spoof your MAC address on the failover server to be that of the
primary.  You would have to have your failover kill the primary, of
course.  Once the failover has taken over the service, you should have
it check more frequently (~15 seconds) for the primary service to come
back up - this may require a serial connection, or second set of network
cards, in order to do this, because of the MAC spoofing.  Once it sees a
connection, it could cease the MAC spoofing, and release the service to
the primary.