List:       linux-server
Subject:    Re: Serial/modem questions (was Re: USR Sportster 128K TA)
From:       "Jaron J. Rubenstein" <jaron () PSYTRONICS ! COM>
Date:       1998-10-27 12:36:25

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Tornoci Laszlo wrote:

> Another thing I'd like to ask: I've read in the Byte magazine, that you
> can really use all speed of an 56Kb modem only if the other end is an ISP
> that has some kind of "digital phone line" (whatever is that) and doesn't
> use a modem. Is this true or I can set up two 56Kb modems at the two ends
> of a normal phone line and still have full speed?

This is correct -- your ISP (or receiving end of the conversation) has to
have a special setup on their end. You can't talk 56K (actually 53K, due
to FCC regulations vs. Marketing hype :) with two 56K modems on either
end. My understanding of The Way It Works (tm) is the data going to your
ISP hits the phone company and gets sent over the ISP's digital data line
rather than the POTS, so they have a special chassis (i.e. - USR Total
Control, etc. system).

                                -Jaron

--
  Jaron Rubenstein  | Internet Consultant, Web/Windows/Linux Developer
     Consultant     |  Linux Advocate, Custom Linux Hardware Solutions