List:       linux-scsi
Subject:    Re: Kernel Panic reading scsi-cdrom (fwd)
From:       Kurt Garloff <K.Garloff () ping ! de>
Date:       1999-03-23 22:01:19

On Mon, Mar 22, 1999 at 09:10:08PM +1100, Nathan Hand wrote:
> The 7502 is the only device on this SCSI chain. Failing any other
> advice I'm going to replace the SCSI controller as I know 7502 is
> a popular Linux burner. I'm assuming that the motherboard/chipset
> can't result in the problem I'm experiencing?

It's very unlikely, but it's possible. I had strange hard lockups of the PCI
bus, when I read CDs at high speeds with Sync connection. After replacing my
VIA-Apollo-VPX MoBo with a Dual BX board, the problem disappeared.

I guess the AM53C974 held the PCI bus for quite a long time, which the
chipset wasn't able to handle.

For ISA, even worse things with DMA etc. can happen. On the other hand, DMA
is known very very long and most bugs have been worked around.

Regards,
--=20
Dipl.Phys. Kurt Garloff <kurt@garloff.de>                [Dortmund, FRG]
Plasma physics, high perf. computing              [Linux-ix86,-axp, DUX]
PGP key: see mailheader / key servers         [Linux SCSI driver: DC390]