List:       linux-scsi
Subject:    Re: 64-bit SCSI LUN addressing on Linux
From:       Bryan Henderson <hbryan () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2005-06-30 19:59:04

>Yeah, people tend to say LUNs when they mean storage devices a lot,
>so I've started to look over the slight misuses if things make sense
>otherwise.

We all have to do that, because the vast majority of people who are not
storage engineers, and a disturbing portion of people who are, mean LU (or
storage device) when they say LUN.  But we shouldn't compound the problem
by not pointing out the mistakes; people deserve to know there's a clearer
way to say what they're trying to say.  In many contexts, I have been
genuinely confused as to whether a person was talking about a LUN or  a
LU.  "LUN discovery," for example is a much simpler problem than the more
general problem of LU (or volume or device) discovery.  I end up having to
do a meta-analysis of which language the author is most likely to be
speaking.  In the current discussion, we have the phrase "64-bit SCSI LUN
addressing," which does sound a whole lot like it's about 64 bit LUNs.
Only when you look closely do you see that decoded the other way, it makes
more sense.

--
Bryan Henderson                     IBM Almaden Research Center
San Jose CA                         Filesystems

-