List:       linux-rt
Subject:    Re: [rtl] Re: Virge DX and accel. introduced latency? (was Re: [Xpert] XFree86in realtime applicatio
From:       David Olofson <david.olofson () reologica ! se>
Date:       2000-11-27 20:37:24

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 Erwin Rol wrote:
[...]
> sO the big teast left is trying all that with FXRee 3.3.6 , which i will
> have to install again first :-/ but i don't see
> a othe choice to rule out the hardware.

I have both 3.3.6 (with Utah-GLX 3D acceleration) and 4.0.1 installed at home,
on a Red Hat 7.0 system ("updated" from 6.2: Aaargh! But it seems to work
now, after lots of manual config tweaking...).

Brutal but simple solution: Basically, i just installed 3.3.6, located and
renamed all X related dirs to xxx.3.3.6; then installed 4.0.1 and did the same
thing, using xxx.4.0.1. Finally, I wrote two scripts that set up symlinks so
the the two installations can be used one at a time.

Note that the configuration files for 3.x.x and 4.x.x are incompatible. IFAIK,
it's not at all possible to write a single config file that works with both
versions. (OTOH, you generally use a dual install for reasons like the above 3D
acceleration scenario, so it's no big deal really. And the new format is a lot
cleaner and easier to deal with once you know it.)

//David

|         A Free/Open Source          | |      Audio Hacker      |
|   Plugin and Integration Standard   | |     Linux Advocate     |
|                 for                 | |  Open Source Advocate  |
|      Professional and Consumer      | |         Singer         |
|             Multimedia              | |       Songwriter       |
`-----> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' `---> david@linuxdj.com -'
To unsubscribe: