List:       linux-rt
Subject:    Re: [rtl] Porting network driver to RTlinux
From:       David Schleef <ds () stm ! lbl ! gov>
Date:       1999-08-26 17:24:28

On Wed, Aug 25, 1999 at 02:19:32PM +0200, David Olofson wrote:
> Manoj Apte wrote:
> >
> > If you write a realtime ethernet driver, will  non-rt tasks (linux user
> > level tasks) also use the same driver to send messages?
>
> That depends on how you write the driver. With RTL beta12 or 13, you'd
> probably want to use the RTL POSIX I/O layer for RTL tasks. The driver
> will NOT automatically be visible to user space applications.

Ethernet drivers don't use the standard file_ops structure, as they
do not have inodes.  They use the 'struct device' structure, which is
a slight duplication, but it's the way it's done.

Moreover, just having a RT ethernet driver gets you very little.  You
need to be able to sucessfully create and interpret ethernet packets,
and eventually, ARP, IP, ICMP, and UDP headers.  Otherwise, you can't
really communicate with anything.  Basically this means
'cd /usr/src/linux;cp -r net rtnet' and a lot of hacking in the rtnet
directory.

Oh... and then, you need to write a POSIX I/O-like layer for socket()
and friends.

dave...

To unsubscribe: