List:       linux-rt
Subject:    [rtl] PCI DAQ cards and interrupt chaining
From:       Donald Gaffney <gaffney () salus ! med ! uvm ! edu>
Date:       1998-12-16 15:10:04

Hello all,

I recently moved an rtl application to a new machine and had the
unpleasant problem of the BIOS assigning several of the PCI cards
to the same IRQ. I know that this is part of the PCI 2.1 spec and
that the OS is supposed to help in this "interrupt chaining" problem.
I know that regular Linux drivers (sometimes) handle this properly.

I'm pretty sure there is not, but I just wanted to see if anyone
has found a way to handle this in RTL.

I juggled around the cards until they were not assigned conflicting
IRQs, but with my Intel PR440FX board, any additional cards will
likely cause an IRQ sharing situation. Changing the assignments was
troublesome too, as the CMOS had to be cleared to also clear the ESCD,
this meant popping a jumper on and off.

Does anyone know of some decent super7 or BX motherboards that allow IRQs
to be assigned to the PCI slots in the BIOS?

I'd like to be able to install several cards (National Instruments PCI
DIO96, National Instruments PCI MIO 16E4, video, network, and hopefully a
Hauppage 404 WinTV) all on the PCI bus.

Thanks - and Happy Holidays, etc,
-Don

To unsubscribe: