List:       linux-rt
Subject:    Re: Everything works OK.
From:       "Andris Pavenis" <pavenis () laima ! acad ! latnet ! lv>
Date:       1998-03-20 22:08:49

> Date:          Fri, 20 Mar 1998 16:18:55 +0000 (WET)
> From:          Jacob Wang Clasen <jclasen@not.iac.es>
> Subject:       Everything works OK.

> Hi Eveybody,
>
> Thanks a lot for the immense amount of answers to my problem. All of you
> suggested me to get 2.0.33, which I've done. No problems now.
>
> I was under the impression that the RT-linux was working with kernels
> *around* that number. But apparently it has to be *exactly* that kernel
> version.
>
> Cheers, Jacob.

Maybe it's not so strictly.

Often it is possible to use patch  for different version but
as bigger is difference between version numbers as less is probability
all will work ok and as more work may be needed to get all to work.
(this is not only not only for rtlinux but also for many other packages).
However I think this is reasonable mostly when no patch
is available for new version or upgrade is impossible due to some reason

Perhaps one should follow some general rules when using
patch for different version:
   -  always(!!!) look if putch is 100% sucessfull. If there is any
      rejected patches it is necessary why the changes were rejected
      and to be ready to apply necessary modifications manually
   -  even after that it's possible that patched version may not work.
      So some hacking still may be needed.

For exeample I used for a longer time rtlinux patch for kernel 2.0.29 for
more newer kernels:
	- at first with 2.0.30 (patching was Ok immediatelly)
         - after that with kernels 2.0.31-33 (in this situation direct
           patching did not work Ok, so I had to do some hacking before or
           after applying the patch)

One more notes about such crossversion patching:
          enable command line options of patch to ignore differences
          in while space ( patch -l ...)

Andris Pavenis